Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Could I really run a Half Marathon?

Well, let me tell you--anyone can if they take the time to train for it! It really isn't that bad! I started running when I was in college and I ran through my college years. Then I got married and pregnant and I kept trying to get back into running, but I never really did until my little sister decided to run a marathon. She was a diligent trainer and convinced several of our siblings and in-laws to run a half marathon with her. She sent us a training schedule--19 weeks to train. It was hard to start running a fair amount, but after a few weeks it started to feel better--especially when running outside with a friend--made it a lot easier. We all ran a 5k together and then wen it was time on our training schedule, we ran a 10k together. The 10k was the most I had ever run at one time and it was really hard at the end, but it was really neat to have done it! I kept up pretty good on the training and when it was finally time for the half marathon--it actually was a great race! I got really tired during the last couple of miles, but I just kept going and before I knew it I had finished! It was an awesome feeling of accomplishment. And actually it was easier than the 10k because I had metally prepared myself that the half would be so hard, but it really wasn't! I have kept up on running around 4 miles several times a week and I plan to run some more halfs eventully an hopefully I will take the time to train for and run a marathon someday! The training we all used was http://www.halhigdon.com/
He has several differnent levels of training and lots of great tips! I suggest you use it if ou are considering running a half or full marathon. Best of luck to anyone doing so!
Here is a picture of all of us after running the half marathon.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I've run a marathon and a few halfs. I like the halfs because they aren't as strenous on the body to train for. Your long runs don't wipe you out for the entire weekend. I also like that after the race, you still feel pretty good instead of beat up. But it's definitely a big accomplishment worthy of a great prize. :)

Tara said...

Ok, I'm gonna give that Hal Higdon a chance. I keep hearing good things about his training schedule. I'm running the Park City marathon in August. I ran the Park City half marathon last year (it was my first half) and I loved it. It's a gorgeous run and I highly recommend it. It's an out-and-back course design, which some people may not like, but I like it because you can gauge just how much you have left.
I do think most people can do a half marathon. It does take some dedication to train, but you're right, it doesn't wipe you out. I ran 11.5 miles this morning though and that's getting up there on my muscles! When I ran my half, the most I ran in training was 10 miles and I was fine on race day.

Em said...

I have also run a full and several halfs and I agree with sandra, halfs are really fun and the long runs on the weekends don't wipe you out. Anyone can do a half marathon. They are so much fun! I am doing several half's this year. That picture in this blog is of my family. I am at the end with my husband and let me tell you what he absolutely hates running and has a hard time doing it, so if he can train for and run a half anyone can! I was so proud of all of them for running that race. It was the funnest thing ever to run with all my family members and cheer them on.